Saturday, September 06, 2008

A ginny drinkventure in Silver Lake

Thanks to a tip from cocktail-girl-about-town Caroline, I was able to get even more acquainted my new favorite oh-so-smooth-and-tasty Plymouth Gin at a special tasting at the Bar Keeper in Silver Lake.

I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to get in since I wasn't on their mailing list, but owner Joe and his staff welcomed me in like an old friend! It was also great that I met Natalie, the Liquid Muse at the event too.
Scott (pictured above) was the awesome bartender who invented the two recipes of the night, inspired to make something Frenchy on Bastille Day using the Provence herbs he happened to have handy.

First up, the lavender gimlet, with gin, fresh-squeezed lime juice, fresh lavender blossoms and a little sweetened lime juice. Surprisingly well-balanced; the lavender scent and the lime's tanginess (both of which have a tendency to be too strong for my liking) is wonderfully subdued in this drink, barely noticeable enough to give that little extra edge and blending well with Plymouth's delicate, not-too-junipery bouquet.
The other drink of the night is thyme lemon fizz, made with Plymouth gin, thyme-infused simple syrup, Trader Joe's lemonade and club soda. Definitely a refreshing summer cocktail and a great alternative to vodka-lemonade (with the thyme and the gin botanicals adding a little extra zip), the club soda helped dilute tart/sweet of lemonade and of course, gives the drink its fun sparkliness.

Of course, I had to play around with the bitters bar they had there (that I had whole new appreciation for since watching Ms. Flighty's video on them). A dash of the Fee Bros' lemon bitters made the fizz drink a lot more interesting, with the thyme aromas being more layered and coming in midway after the initial lemony aromas.

Anyhow, fun time and definitely great company who definitely appreciate their alcohol, drinking for taste and pleasure rather than just to get drunk. And their knowledge of the various spirits, beers, wines and mixology out there certainly gives me something to aspire to (and polish up on).

And of course, I signed up for their e-mail list and can't wait for such a fun event again (or to check out all their neat and funky barwares!)

Bar Keeper
3910 Sunset Blvd.
Silver Lake (Los Angeles)
(323) 669.1675
http://www.barkeepersilverlake.com

5 comments:

Kirby! said...

I was there! I wonder if I saw you and didn't even realize it??

Those Bar Keeper things are awesome. I had the best cocktail of my life at one of those events. It was called "the 2:00", taken from a 1970s Playboy story on "24 hours of cocktails."

H. C. said...

Nice - I got there and left pretty early though so wouldn't be surprised if we missed each other entirely.

What did the 2:00 consists of?

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so jealous! Those look and sound deelish!

Kirby! said...

the 2:00 had ginger beer, bourbon, bitters, and fresh sliced ginger. YUMMY

H. C. said...

Sounds delish, sounds like a recipe I could try emulating at home ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...