Friday, September 05, 2008

Friday Quickies #29: Bad Burger, Great Service at Yard House, Events Next Week

Alright, a few more fun gastronomical events down the turnpike, but first wanted to give a mini shout-out to the Yard House in Pasadena. The food is just OK (think sports bar food meet Cheesecake Factory), but they went the extra mile in service to right wrongs. The burger I ordered was well beyond medium and was even burnt, but I didn't realize it till halfway through (all the while wondering if it was the spinach or the asparagus that's making the burger bitter; yes, asparagus in a hamburger... but I'll digress). Seeing how I ate half the thing already, I only wanted to mention it to the server as an FYI to the kitchen -- but they wound up comping the dish, which was beyond my expectations. And their dessert trio (lemon and chocolate soufflés and a peach-apple cobbler) was decent.

Ok, now onto the upcoming juicy stuff:

Vertical Wine Bistro will be partnering with 4 Wines Plus More doing a private wine tasting, with over 50 wines from California, Australia, Chile, Spain and South Africa along with cheese platters and hors d'oeuvres. It will take place Tuesday, September 9, from 4 to 8 p.m. A good deal at $35/person at the door made even better for $25/person presale!

Also, Vertical also does ongoing complementary tastings on the first Thursday of each month from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. (which is why I was there yesterday), with a few pours from their featured winery-of-the-month. Definitely a nice way to expand the palate, check out the place, and enjoy a few small-plates-styles eats. Yesterday they highlighted Trefethen Family Vineyard in Napa -- all I gotta say is excellent Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon!


On Wednesday, September 10, ABC's Pushing Daisies is making a stop at the Santa Monica Promenade from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to give out free pie from Ned's Bakery, "the Pie Hole" (I don't follow the show, so not sure if I even want to go there.) Sounds like fun for fans of the series, which a few of my friends are, for everyone else - hey, free pie while or after you check out the nearby Farmer's Market! Additional deets on the Yelp event page here.

And as I noted last week, headin' to the Greek Fest tomorrow and probably stuffing myself crazy with feta, phyllo and vino from 1p.m. to around 5 p.m., can't wait!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...