Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Favorite Rainy Day Drink . . .

Hot Buttered Rum
Given these cooler nights are probably the last we'll see for awhile, I figure I better get on this cocktail recommendation stat while the weather's still appropriate to slowly sip a steamy cup.

While my previous 2-3 visits to the Varnish didn't leave a particularly stellar mark in my mind (admittedly all my prior swing-bys were to a pretty packed and happening joint, so the bartenders are harried, backlogged and obviously a little less careful,) one drink that I fondly enjoyed on a chilly night was their Hot Buttered Rum.

A simple drink made with aged rum, a little honey, lots of hot water and a dollop of butter -- it's a cocktail Paula Deen will definitely approve, even if she's on a quest to kill us all. Truth be told, it didn't taste too greasy and the butter taste was a wonderful complement to the honey's sweetness and the rum's spicy-sugary aroma. A potable kettle corn, so to speak.

So if there are any more rainy days slated for these next few months, you know what I'll be enjoying at Cole's backdoor speakeasy.

The Varnish Bar
118 E. 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
(213) 622-9999
Website

The Varnish on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Kung Food Panda said...

I was skeptical with this drink at first, but it was a damn solid drink. I was a bit scared off by the butter though....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...