Monday, April 20, 2009

Introducing Foodie Fitness

Some equipment at home to keep the bulges at bay...

Since LA Times just put together a fabulous issue today on a DIY weight loss plan, I guess now's a good a time as any to reveal the project of my not-so-secret other half: Foodie Fitness.

I guess this new blog is inspired by my reading other foodbloggers, where every so often the salient theme of "having to eat healthier" and "getting into shape" comes up -- along with the occasional post on a crazy detox/diet plan and Spartan exercise regimen. In a way, I just want to show that you can still enjoy great-tasting foods, have a life outside of a gym and still stay in comparatively good shape. Sounds cliched, but it's all about balance and moderation as well as small-but-progressive steps to improving your lifestyle.

I am by no means the gold standard of fitness (and anyone who seen me in my skinny arm glory can attest to that) but I'm definitely proud of the milestones I've achieved and maintained, including a 40-pound weightloss, shedding 8-10% body fat and a 6 inch waist shrinkage for the past three years.


As for my foodie fitness blog, I still am trying to figure out the direction I'm going to take (and it's definitely in the rough right now). Partly it'll be sharing some helpful eating/exercise tips I've come across (like in today's LA Times), partly to share my own experiences and challenges when it comes working out and eating right, and time allowing, I definitely look forward to profiling some other fit foodies and discovering their secrets to balancing great tastes with overall wellness. And of course, blogging about my routine is a great way to hold myself accountable, too!

Nonetheless, I definitely hope you'll join the fitventure journeys of my other half and chime in with your own comments, questions and opinions.

Now back to your regularly scheduled foodventures programming...

6 comments:

Foodeater said...

Perfect timing... my diet starts today!

mattatouille said...

this is a blog I want to read, but also don't want to read. I want to be healthy and responsible, but I also want to eat whatever i want. but yes, this is very necessary for the world's burgeoning ranks of foodies.

Food GPS said...

H.C.,

Congratulations on launching your second concept. Balance is always timely. Please begin by defining moderation, a word that seems to have lost its meaning.

VSanchez said...

Balancing between good food and exercise has always been a challenge for me. I will definitely be viewing your new blog for tips.

H. C. said...

@Foodeater, hope you do well and that some of my tips are helpful.

@Mattatouille, I don't really divorce the idea of "eating whatever I want" with being "healthy and responsible", I definitely indulge in quite a few not-so-wholesome stuff, but I balance that out by eating lighter around those meals and/or extra exercise (again, without going into overkill with some crazy detox / insane boot camp plan.)

@FoodGPS, that's actually an issue I plan on tackling on my fitness blog (hopefully this week.)

@VSanchez, thanks - hope my advice will be helpful!

Diana said...

H.C. - I am so excited to read your fitventures! I truly believe that it is possible to be a foodie, enjoy great tasting food (even bacon) and still be fit. Like you wrote, it is all about balance and moderation -- something that I try to practice in my own food adventures. It's refreshing to see a food blogger take this topic on. Bravo! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...