I'm not usually one to get a case of the Mondays, but if I do -- I definitely know where to go for a post-work cheering up: the Raw Bar @ Delphine, where every Monday from 5 to 10:30 p.m. they have an assortment of specials that's friendly for the palate & the wallet.
The specials include East Coast oysters for $1 and West Coast ones for $2 (seemingly nonsensical given the travel distance, but the Pacific oysters are considerably larger, meatier, sweeter and definitely worth the extra buck; don't believe me, just shell out the $3 and do a comparison yourself!)
The chilled shrimp (and later, the littleneck clams on half-shell) were solid too, but oysters definitely took center-stage, and likely be the ONLY thing I'm noshing on while sipping a cool, crisp $5 glass of wine (Pinot Grigio or Sparkling Rosé.)
Another tip, trying to get here between 5 and 7 p.m., when they do their Happy Hour specials as well, giving you a few more bites and drinks to choose from (my bar neighbors raved about their sliced steak sandwich with gruyere and onions, and I personally was tempted to get their take on the poutine with cheddar cheese & short rib gravy.)
And if you have a few more bucks to splurge, their are some noteworthy cocktails to try as well. At a media tasting a while back, I had the chance to try the pictured above Eden w Belvedere Citrus Vodka, Cassis, Lemon Sour, Prosecco and Grand Marnier'd Cherry, which was a delightful warm-weather sipper that's fruity without being overly sweet. I also enjoyed the Rock Garden (w Rock Junmai Daiginjo Sake, Suntory Yamasaki Single-Malt Whiskey, Raspberries, Cinnamon, Agave Nectar and Soda) that was breezy and refreshing with just a hint of smoky-spicy edge.
Lastly, if you can wrangle a few friends to chip in (or looking to impress a date) -- their (not so) 'Petit Delphine' Fruits de Mer platter for $58, a wonderful assortment of seafood (mussels, clams, oysters, shrimp, ceviche, all topped with a whole crab) that can easily feed five as a satisfying starter... or two as a meal (one can only imagine the size of their even larger 'Grand Delphine' tower...)
Talk about a tasty way to start off the work week!
What Do Others Say?
- LAist was equally impressed with their seafood, noting "that's what you should be eating" here.
- Caroline on Crack and I actually been here before desserts and drinks a while back, which was iffy (I've since revised my opinion for the better after trying their savories too.)
- Vixen's LA Happy Hour found this place's specials "one of the best happy hours I have come across."
- The Minty says "Delphine makes a great dining option pre-theatre"
- Eat L.A. notes that this "spot is [also] good for business meetings, visitors touring Hollywood and post-clubbing hunger pangs."
- Eating L.A. would come back "just for a little Riviera reminder."
Delphine @ the W Hollywood
6250 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028